1) THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA SECTION: As Section Chair & Western Region 5 US Trustee, I pledged 8 new inductees for PFA Fellowship. N CA Section Fellows now total 225. Also, Faculty & Students from both UOP & UCSF Dental Schools were invited & honored with various awards. In 2009, a $5K PFA Foundation grant was used in this Section. ,
2) PIERRE FAUCHARD ACADEMY: FOUNDED BY ELMER BEST IN 1936 & so next year is the 75th anniversary: President-Elect Hubert Ouvrard (from France & home of Pierre Fauchard) and has organized a celebration in Paris (7/16/11). The day’s events: C E program; Awards & New Fellow Induction; cocktail party with scenic boat ride on the Seine River; concluding with a banquet. The official registration form is in the upcoming Nov-Dec Dental World. If any interest in this event, please contact the Central Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Plan to attend!
3) PFA and FDI: Delegates met in Chicago (2/25/10) for a discussions comparing and finding common ground for goals, commitments & possible oral health care programs. Representing FDI: President Dr Roberto Vianna, President-Elect Orlando da Silva & Executive Director Dr David Alexander. Representing PFA: President Dr Steve Hedlund, Trustees Dr Ernesto Acuna (Region 7, Latin America), Dr Daniel Castagna (Region 5, Western USA) & Dr José Dahan (Region 1, Europe).
4) THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SECTION: Section Chair Dr. Doug Cassat held a New Fellow Induction/Award luncheon (5/16/10). I pledged 6 new inductees for PFA Fellowship; also, Faculty & Students from the SCA Dental Schools were invited & honored with various awards. Also in 2009, multiple PFA Foundation grants were used in this Section totaling $62,0000 — grant activities were reported. Special Highlight: PFA Past President Charles Eller reported on PFA Foundation activities.
5) THE WASHINGTON SECTION: Section Chair Dr. Barry Feder held a New Fellow Induction/Award dinner (6/17/10) with 12 new Fellows inducted & attendance over 100! Two WA School of Dentistry Students received recognition for leadership/scholarship activity. Dr. Feder reported PFA Foundation 2010 Grant usage for Medical Teams International (helped the mobile dental van for the Wala Wala area). For 2011 two grant applications have been requested for the Homeless Team Clinic in Fremont & Pope’s Place Respite Center disabled children.
Western Region 5 US Sections continue excellence in the Academy’s goals and objectives. Thanks to all!